DietPower Forums
Official DietPower Software User Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password                Forgot your Password?
Click to download DietPower's trial version

All Forums
 Health
 Weight Management
 Weight Gain after Gall Bladder surgery
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

Jill

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  04:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Jill's Homepage
I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago and have gained 25 lbs since then. The gallbladder aids in the metabolism of fats (good and bad)so without it you have faulty fat metabolism and you store more than you break down. The liver has no way of knowing how much bile to expel and often expels too little (constipation then develops) or too much (loose stools then develop)

Hope this helps, from Jill (Registered Holistic Nutritionist)
Go to Top of Page

rheaedge

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  23:45:54  Show Profile
I had my gallbladder out exactly 13 months ago. Before I had it removed i weighed around 120, but 8 months after having it removed i went up to 165 and now i am up to 179. I am a short person who has always been skinny and little. I have a small frame and i cannot handle this weight gain. I am in my early 20's. I excercise and I am always active but i keep gaining weight in my mid section that i cannot get off of me. It looks like im a fat woman in the waist when the rest of me is small. I have had everything checked and the doctors can not figure it out. I lost all of my weight after i had my daughter and have never had any problems with my weight. This is surreal. Please if anyone has any advice on what to do to fix this please email me back.
Go to Top of Page

kkratz57

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  08:31:40  Show Profile
Yay, I found others like me!

I had my gallbladder out Feb 2006. I was 185 pounds at the time (I'm only 5'2). Took me longer to recover, but once I did, I started right back to the gym working my way back in. I tried WW, too. I was working out like mad and watching my calorie intake, but I think I only shed 3 pounds. I got frustrated, so I stopped WW, but continued working out. I put those 3 back on plus 2 more.

12-13 weeks ago, I started working with a personal trainer at my gym, which is attached to a health food store (how convenient). We both know darn well I've packed on muscle. I'm a ton stronger. My eating habits did not change, in fact they may have improved slightly. I've been doing cardio, too. I have my trainer completely baffled as to why I GAINED weight, didn't lose any body fat pct and have only shed a half-inch in the arms, an inch in the legs and a half-inch across my chest. She's been working me really hard, too.

I've been having RUQ pain and an increase diarrhea lately, too. Just had bloodwork done again and my third ultrasound of 2006. He suggested I eat bland, but I couldn't hack it for long...especially since I've worked hard to make sure I eat my veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, etc. I have a follow-up appointment with my doc tomorrow.

My trainer is going to do some research this weekend, and if she suggests supplements such as bile salts and some liver cleansing, I'll be asking my doctor if this is ok before we do any other kind of invasive tests.

In the meantime, I've been reading the book Mastering Leptin (recommended by my trainer) and trying to follow his 5 rules (which is easier than one would think), hoping this would just start fat loss and put my system back in order. I'll let you know how it goes!

I'll let you know what my trainer finds and whatever else I come across.
Go to Top of Page

Amy T

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  14:41:36  Show Profile
I just knew it! I knew my weight gain was due to my gall bladder surgery. I didn't have a choice on it being removed due to it being completely full of stones and I had two stones stuck in my duct right above the pancreas, which I was informed could be life threatening. I'm glad the surgery was done because I am better in every way except for the weight gain. I have always been thin with a slim waist and after the surgery it was a steady climb on the weight gain. I talked with my doctor who said "nope not the reason" B.S.! I used to do medical research and I'm telling you this weight gain is due to the gall bladder being removed. A very high percentage of us report the weight gain in the same area, which seems to be centered around the waist line/abdominal area. I never had belly fat and now I do and my exercise and food intake is the same prior til and after the surgery. Sooooo regardless of what the doctors say who here knows of any herbs/diet that can mimick the function of the gall bladder?

P.S. - My surger was 2yrs ago and I have gained 25lbs around the abdominal area. Yuck!
Go to Top of Page

hannelore

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  15:32:12  Show Profile
I had my GB removed almost 30 yrs ago when I was just 25. For nearly 3 decades following the surgery I suffered from explosive diarrhea, i.e. as soon as I ate I often had to run to the bathroom. I thought it was nervousness because doctors have confirmed to me over and over that gallbladder removal has no negative consequences for digestion or otherwise.

I have tried every diet (vegan, vegetarian, meat, fish only, raw foods only) and was able to keep my weight constant even on the vegan diet only with exercise (aerobic and weights) 7x per week. Aside from an occasional sweet tooth binge, I do eat very moderately and have difficulty maintaining my weight. I gained about 40 lbs in the last 10 years when I began eating meat again and now have tremendous difficulty losing any of it - even with regular exercise. Most of the weight accumulates in my midsection.

I learned about digestive enzymes about a year ago and my digestive problems are a lot better now, although i do have difficulty digesting onions, garlic, beans, and sugar.

I just read an article in Dr. David Williams' alternative medicine newletter, stating that he considers it a criminal offense that patients who have gallbladder surgery are never told they need to take bile salts afterwards (and for the rest of their lives) to ensure proper digestion. Dr. Williams says that with all of the transfatty acids in everyone's diets these days, even people with healthy gallbladders do not produce enough bile salts because transfats inhibit the production of bile salts.

Standard Process makes a product called Cholacol and he recommends taking 2 right before a meal. It's available from Village Green Apothecary at 1.800.869.9159.

I am ordering it right now. If anyone is taking this product already, i would love to get some feedback about your experience.

lori
Go to Top of Page

Pianogal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  08:01:48  Show Profile
I had my gall bladder removed August 11, 2006. Since then have gained 10 pounds in spite of exercise, drinking water and WW online. It looks like we are all experiencing the same problem----so what is the solution?? Please!!!
Go to Top of Page

rere33

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  09:01:42  Show Profile  Send rere33 a Yahoo! Message
I had my gallbladder removed when I was 18. I was in constant pain and always in the ER. Sadly to say for the first 6 months, they didn't find anything wrong with me. They said I had a problem digesting greasy foods and had to taks antacids. Once the pain got to the point when I could only lay down, cry and vomit, they scheduled me for an ultrasound. They found 5 stones and my gallbladder was inflammed. I weighed around 170 before the surgery. After that, I have not been able to keep any weight off. It's like what ever I eat sticks on me. I diet and exercise just to keep at the weight I'm at now, which is about 80 pounds heavier than before. I wouldn't recommend this surgery to anyone unless your going to get a gastric bypass as well.

rere33
Go to Top of Page

kkratz57

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  21:41:18  Show Profile
Ok, I may have some answers, but I'm not sure becuase I *just* got them. Please refer to my post above on this page for my background situtation.

I went to see a certified homeopathic doctor today. After his examination, his determination was candidiasis...yes, yeast through my digestive system. It seems there may be a connection between poor liver/gallbladder function and the emergence of candida overgrowth. Very interesting.

So, I'm taking 3 different supplements to aid in getting rid of the yeast plus a very restrictive, but clean diet so the yeast can no longer thrive. I'm also taking a digestive enzyme supplement with added lipase and ox bile (Pan Ox 5 by Douglas Labs). I will be doing a weekend liver flush in another week or two.

If this all helps me out I'll be sure to re-post and let you know. In the meantime, if you can seek out a homeopathic professional, by all means DO IT! You can also take the following quick test and spit tests...

http://www.candidasupport.org/candidatests.html

Go to Top of Page

kmorin15

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  14:15:52  Show Profile
i have breast cancer and we have a sight with great info. however reading this sight(because my daughter has had her gb out and has gainged weight) i do not see any info on how to corect the problem of gaining weight after surgery. so if anyone has another sight to go to or info on this please let us know. i will check around on some sights and keep all of you posted.
Go to Top of Page

kmorin15

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  11:02:13  Show Profile
AFTER GALLBLADDER REMOVAL KIT
Indications for the need of this kit would be digestive problems as listed under gallbladder symptoms. The gallbladder secretes a more concentrated form of bile than the liver does which assists with emulsifying the fats in our diet. With the removal of the gallbladder, supplemental bile salts can help to take up the slack. They are concentrated, purified bile salts. The HCl and Activator help to stimulate digestion which was part of the root of the problem in the first place.

1 BILE SALTS
1 HCl
1 HCl ACTIVATOR

Dosage: 1-2 bile salts per meal and 1 HCl and 1 Activator opened and added to water per meal. See directions.

Price: $56.00
Qty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEIGHT GAIN AFTER GALLBLADDER REMOVAL KIT
Whether you have had your gallbladder removed or have gallbladder problems, weight gain can occur due to impaired breakdown of fats. The products in this kit help to digest the fats you are eating as well as those you have been actively accumulating in your body, including the liver. This also helps with the digestion of protein and can help with nutrient absorption.

1 BILE SALTS 1 MEGA ACID A
1 BHB FAT METABOLIZER
1 MULLZYME 1 SUGAR CRAVING FORMULA TRIAL 10 PK

Price: $105.00
Qty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hope this is some help i am going to get this for my daughter i will let you all know how it works
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Click to download DietPower's trial version

DietPower Forums © 2005 by DietPower, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000