DietPower Forums
Official DietPower Software User Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password                Forgot your Password?
Click to download DietPower's trial version

All Forums
 Health
 Weight Management
 Weight Gain after Gall Bladder surgery
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

kjcarson

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Send kjcarson a Yahoo! Message
I posted on June 26 about starting to take a bile salt. I have some hope now. I have lost over 5lbs since then. I take the bile salt (cholacol) usually 2-3 times a day, don't always remember to have it with me.

I have not had stomache or bloating from my meals now. I am still seeing the lbs coming off. I'm going to through in some more exercise, since its the summer months here and I can get outside more and work on more water intake. I would recommend trying the bile salt and seeing if it helps.
Go to Top of Page

hoyte54

Bahamas
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  13:27:53  Show Profile
The issue with the use of bile salts sounds interesting. However, here in the Bahamas I have having difficulty finding bile salt (cholacol. kjcarson if you have any more information on this subject please send. I would much appreciate it. Information on where to purchase (health store, food store, drug store etc.)? Is there another brand name for product?
Go to Top of Page

kjcarson

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  17:52:20  Show Profile  Send kjcarson a Yahoo! Message
I found it at a Health Food Store. Cholacol is just one like brand name. It was hard for me to find as well. You can also try just finding a bile salt. If you can order online go to amazon.com and do a search for bile salt in the health and beauty items. They sell bile salt and cholacol.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

dede

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  18:29:39  Show Profile
Wow. I was really glad I checked this forum. I had my GB out in Nov. of '04. I weighed 120 pounds. I have been better about what I eat. I work out three times a week, and I have gained 20 pounds! And I can't get it off. I don't know what to do. Reading all these posts has made me feel better, knowing I'm not the only one and that it just has to be related to the GB removal. But I want the weight off! My boyfriend is concerned about my weight gain and started working out with me. Of course, he has since lost 14 pounds and me, nothing. Talk about depressing. I'm going to try those bile salts and the liver cleanse that I read about earlier. I also have the problem with running to the bathroom after meals. You would think that would help keep the weight off since it seems like everything is just running right through you. My doctor also told me not to worry about my diet afterwards and I could eat anything I wanted. I never lost weight prior to the surgery because my attacks were only occasional. If anyone finds a way to get rid of that extra weight, please post it!

tazzn
Go to Top of Page

Dabell

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  00:36:11  Show Profile
The digestive tract (mouth, stomach, large and small intestines), liver, gallbladder, and pancreas make up the digestive system. The gallbladder, which is linked by small ducts to the liver and small intestine, acts as a storehouse for bile, the substance needed to digest fats. After you eat a meal your gallbladder empties bile into the intestine to help you digest your food, especially fats.

One night I woke up with very bad pain ( the kind of pain when you just know something is not right) I didnt know what it was! I rushed myslef to the ER. After having every test to man, the doctor told me that I needed to have my gall bladder removed. At this time in my life I was not thinking about myself. I was trying to hold my family together, while knowing my husband was involed with a women from his office. At the age of 35, I had it removed. Afterwards, It was found that I had gall bladder cancer. I had all the signs, Yet, I thought I was getting sick because of the fear of loosing my husband. I even lost most of my hair. Who knows if it was from nevers and stress Or from the sickness itself. Doctors dont have all the answers.
At the time I was 35 years old and in a size 9/10 Jr's. Now I am 40 years old, divocred and wear a size 20w. This is very hard for me to be this heavy everything hurts me! It seems I gain 20 to 25 lbs a year. I been on WW'ers.. Nothing! Now I really am trying to Not eat any Fat what so ever.. in 4 weeks I lost 2 lbs. I look at myself and it gets me ill. I am very much thinking about getting a Lap or bypass ( weight loss ) done. Yet My INS. is giving me a hard time paying for it. I sit in front of the mirror and cry! I hate how I look! I sometimes feel that I should have never agreed to remove! That way at least I would have died thin!

Go to Top of Page

kath00

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  00:03:37  Show Profile
I had my gall bladder removed in March 2006. I had no stones it just was not functioning. I lost 5 lbs the week after the surgery but then things changed. I have been chronically constipated ever since the surgery. I have tried increasing my water intake, increased fruits, grains and fibers with no luck. Everything I eat causes me to swell up like a ballon. I weighed 185 before my surgery. Now I weigh 200 lbs. My diet I thought had changed for the better but the weight gain is crazy. I have been packing on inches around my waist and thighs. It is so depressing because I know I am not eating more than before. My doctor told me that I would probable lose weight after the surgery because my bile would be running all the time.
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one with this kind of problem. My husband had his gallbladder taken out several years ago. When he eats fats he runs to the bathroom within 30 minutes and has lost weight. He is not understanding on why I'm packing on weight when we are eating the same kind of food.
I'm looking for something that will make me feel normal again. What seems to work?
Go to Top of Page

ukerprincess

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  01:19:17  Show Profile
I had My GB Taken out in an "emergency surgery" the emergency being that for the week before they took it out they told me i was getting heart burn i was on zantac 150's 4 times a day and still the pains getting worse finally after a week a doctor decided to do a simple urine test and because i was so jaundiced figured was the GB (oh ya and the 20 stones I had) anyways on with the actual topic I was 145 im 5'8 that was in 2001 I am now 220 and rapidly growing.
I dont buy the crap that its what i eat cause i still get such bad diareah and cramps that i can barely eat and when I do i don't get how im gaining weight cause im on the toilet within Minutes..I will check also on the bile salt pills at this point im ready to do anything I was not even this big 9 months pregnant I was always a very slim girl till the GB removal...will let you know

ALSO have any of you women noticed a change in your menstration I used to get mine for only 2-3 days and lite now its every 2 weks for a full week and NOT lite at all...
Go to Top of Page

acwan

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  19:06:17  Show Profile
My husband had his GB removed in January 2006 and he's gained 20 pounds in the 8 months since then. The good thing is it has scared him enough to finally take action on healthier eating and exercise habits, which were non-existent pre- and post- surgery.

However, in contrast to what the doctors said about losing weight, he seems to be gaining weight very quickly despite little change to his dietary habits. It seems like he doesn't seem to be digesting the fatty foods he eats at all. After a fatty meal, he has to make a run for the bathroom, but then he also gets a lot of acid in his stomach. He also gains a lot of weight (mostly fat) from one meal. For instance, after only eating lunch yesterday (dim sum), he gained 3 pounds overnight. Although the meal was pretty fatty, it still shocked both of us to see him gaining weight so quickly. After all, he didn't eat that much.

We're going to try a fruit diet only from now on, with little carbo or meat products and also supplement his diet with a daily one hour workout routine to see if it can at least stabilize his ballooning weight gain and bring it under control (we're not even trying for weight loss, just a stable weight!) The doctors we've spoken with don't seem to have any explanation for this problem other than that it must be due to "lack of diet and exercise," and refuse to make any link between the GB removal and his weight gain, even though we suspect now that there must be a connection.

This is the only forum that I have found where I've heard of people having similar symptoms to my husband's post GB removal and it would give me great comfort to hear anything you may have tried that works!
Go to Top of Page

abcm

Australia
51 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  23:49:34  Show Profile
I had gb surgery in Apr 2005. My doc advised me prior to surgery to not eat pig, cheese, choc, pastry, margarine,cakes ( approx 3 mths ) and also for 3 mths post-surgery. This time frame incl my dad's 80th BDay and Xmas! I survived the whole ordeal by sticking strictly to this diet and lost a lot of weight. My cholesterol went from 6.9 to 6.1 over this time. In all I stuck to this diet over about 12 mths, when I then started eating most of these foods again, and started putting on weight again! I've discovered the most fattening foods seem to be CHEESE & CHOCOLATE & HAM!!! Now I'm not saying not to eat cheese at all, cause we need calcium, but creamed cottage cheese and ricotta are low in fat, smoothies with low fat high calcium milk and fruit and frozen yogurt are yummy, and using pastrami instead of ham or bacon in recipes is very tasty also. I've decided to revert back to some of these practices, cause cheese, choc, and ham have ALWAYS been my weaknesses. By mid afternoon I am craving something sweet so I have a Milo ( hot choc ) with marshmallows. Not having a gb makes it hard to digest adequately some foods therefore it makes sense to me to take care with what we put into our stomachs. By the way not eating fatty foods doesn't guarantee losing weight as someone was concerned about. Not eating regularly and not eating a balanced diet will not help to lose weight.

abcm
Go to Top of Page

denise

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  09:58:50  Show Profile
hi, i too had gall bladder surgery recently and began gaining weight-however i have discovered if i will drink atleast 3 and better yet 4 bottles of water a day and not drink the sugary teas and sodas i am losing now-denise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Click to download DietPower's trial version

DietPower Forums © 2005 by DietPower, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000