DietPower Forums
Official DietPower Software User Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password                Forgot your Password?
Click to download DietPower's trial version

All Forums
 Help from DietPower Users
 Supplements
 Potassium Klor-Con 20 MEQ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timms

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2004 :  23:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diet power always suggest I get more potassium. My Dr. gives me a perscription for a medical condition. Does anyone know how to convert 20 MEQ to Mg so I can enter it into Diet Power.

Thanks

Terry Dunkle

USA
858 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2004 :  17:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Terry Dunkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what "MEQ" means. Can you give me its eponym?
Go to Top of Page

bizbear

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2005 :  19:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Potassium in medical settings is measured in mEq (milleEquivalents)
Don't know exactly what that converts to or relates to, but it is the standard in pharmacy world. I just was in hospital & had an IV & they added 20mEq of K+ to it. I also know that dieticians use it when they have people that need Potassium restricted diets. They profile diets in total number of mEq of K+ per day.
Did some website searching & found that for potassium 1mEq = 0.039gm
Best
Mitch
Go to Top of Page

Terry Dunkle

USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2005 :  18:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Terry Dunkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our nutrition experts say Mitch is correct.
Go to Top of Page

kat

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  04:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Potassium 20MEQ=1500mg., is correct.Other name variations include:K-Dur20, Klor-Con20, KCI, KTab, Klorvess, TenK Klotrix, KlyteCL, KaonCL, and SlowK. Funny I just found this site and had just looked up this info for my rx drug plan. Hope it helps, {Kat}

{kat}
Go to Top of Page

BrettKP

USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  13:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what you are paying for potassium prescriptions, but an inexpensive and healthy way to get potassium into your diet is to drink low sodium tomato juice. It has 920 mg potassium per 8 oz. serving. You also get 2 g of protein and fiber. I paid about $3.50 per 64 oz bottle for the Campbell's brand. Don't buy the regular sodium version; although it tastes better, it doesn't offer as much potassium, and has a lot of sodium. You will find lots of potassium in foods such as baked potato (6.1 oz with skin=925 mg). A 5 lb bag of potatoes costs about $2.00. Spinach is also a great source of potassium. Use the Power Foods listing in the food dictionary of DietPower to show foods highest in potassium.

-Brett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Click to download DietPower's trial version

DietPower Forums © 2005 by DietPower, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000